A credit note can be allocated to one or more invoices in order to reduce the outstanding amount of the invoice. The credit note can be wholly or partially allocated as required.
Allocation from within the Credit Note
Proceed to enter the credit note allocation as follows:
- Transaction Date: The date that the allocation takes place.This defaults to the current date but can be changed.
- Reference: Enter any relevant information you may require.
A list of the contact's available invoices will be presented for selection. These will include all invoices where the outstanding amount is greater than zero.
- Transaction ID: The transaction ID of an invoice available for allocation.
- Invoice Date: The date as specified on the invoice.
- Invoice Amount: The overall total value of the original invoice.
- Other Payments: The total of any payments or credit note allocations previously made against this invoice.
- This Allocation: The amount of the credit note being allocated to the selected invoice. This amount cannot be greater than [Invoice Amount - Other Payments].
- Outstanding: Invoice Amount - Other Payments.
Enter the appropriate amount in This Allocation field of each invoice that the credit note is to be allocated against.
Click the Save button to complete the allocation of a credit note to an invoice.
Allocation from within the Invoice View
Credit Notes can be allocated to an invoice directly in the invoice overview.
Select the appropriate Sales Invoice or Purchase Invoice. An Apply Credit section will be visible if the contact has any outstanding credit notes or overpayments available to offset against the current invoice.
Click on the Credit this invoice hyperlink to proceed. A list of the contact's available credits will be presented for allocation.
- Allocation Date: The date that the allocation takes place. This defaults to the current date but can be changed to any date after the invoice and/or the selected credit being allocated.
- Amount to Credit: Each line represents a credit available for allocation. Enter the appropriate allocation amount on each line.
Click the Allocate Credit button to complete the allocation of credit notes and/or overpayments to an invoice.
Each overpayment or credit note selected for allocation results in a separate CAL/PAL allocation transaction type being created i.e. if five credits are selected for allocation, five separate CAL/PAL transactions will appear against the invoice.