This help document refers to entering supplier payments against existing Purchase Invoices. If you are entering a payment for which you did not receive an invoice, you should consider using the General Payment option or Overpayment To Supplier.
Enter the payment directly in the invoice
Payments can be entered directly against Purchase Invoices. Display the invoice on the screen. Go to the bottom of the transaction and fill in the appropriate payment details before clicking the Add Payment button. A bank transaction is created and can be viewed via the link in the body of the invoice.
Enter the payment in the Banking area
The payment should be entered as a Spend Money transaction. Navigate to the Banking tab and initiate the transaction from one of the following areas:
- Overview - click the Spend button for the appropriate bank account.
- Transactions - select the appropriate bank account and then click on the Spend Money button.
- Bank Imports - import a bank statement or process an outgoing amount from an existing bank statement.
Proceed to complete the transaction as follows:
- Type: Select Invoice Payment.
- Date: The date that the payment took place. This defaults to the current date or the date provided by the bank if you are processing a bank statement.
- Contact: Use the drop down list to select the appropriate supplier.
- Reference: Enter any relevant information you may require e.g. cheque number.
- Notes: This is a memo field and can be freely used.
A list of the supplier's outstanding invoices (i.e. where the outstanding amount is greater than zero) will be displayed for selection. Tick the checkbox to select a transaction. The amount in the This Payment column can be changed if needed. Note that all other columns in this section are read-only and you will not be able to edit the information here.
- Transaction ID: The transaction ID of an invoice available for payment.
- Invoice Date: The date as specified on the invoice.
- Invoice Amount: The total value of the original invoice.
- Other Payments: The total of any payments or credit note allocations previously made against this invoice.
- This Payment: The amount of the payment being entered against the selected invoice.
- Outstanding: Calculated as [Invoice Amount - Other Payments].
Click on the Add Overpayment link if the total amount of the payment is greater than the total of the line item payment assignments. Enter the actual payment amount in the Total Payment field. An overpayment pop-up confirmation will appear when the transaction is saved. You may wish to allocate the overpayment to a new or existing invoice at a later date. Please see Allocate Overpayment to Invoice.
Click the Save button to complete the supplier invoice payment.
Each invoice selected for payment results in one line posted to the Accounts Payable account for this transaction i.e. if five invoices are selected for payment, this transaction will result in five separate lines posted against the Accounts Payable account. This is to allow you to subsequently report which invoices were paid by a particular bank transaction.
Overpayments result in two separate bank transactions being created. One line reflects the amount of the invoice/s allocated and one line represents that amount ot the overpayment.
Please sign in to leave a comment.